Mellow-spiced chicken and chickpeas
Warming spices and tender chicken with chickpeas in a thick, tasty stew.
This mellow-spiced chicken and chickpeas is such a pleasing dish to serve up. It ticks all the boxes of a delicious, comforting stew, and it’s surprisingly low calorie too. The chicken thighs are nicely crisped and golden from where you brown them at the beginning of the recipe. Then the sauce they cook in has everything – a lovely eastern spiciness from the cumin and coriander seeds and a delicious creaminess from the yoghurt. All that and it’s only 309 calories per portion. It’s also high in protein (from the chickpeas as well as the meat) – a great healthy chicken recipe if you’re following a low calorie diet, but one you can also serve to your whole family.
If you don't want to serve this with bread, you could make some low fat potato wedges or brown rice. For a really low carb option, just steam some leafy green veg such as kale, which will soak up some of the lovely sauce too.
You might also like...Healthy pasta recipes
- 8 chicken thighs, skin still on
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2-4 fat cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp each cumin seeds, coriander seeds and paprika
- 410g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 300ml (½ pint) hot chicken stock
- 2-3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Bread, to serve